Advancement of the Christian Religion
In its work to advance and support the Christian faith, the Mercers’ Company invites grant appeals from a wide variety of sources. These need not be exclusively from Anglican organisations, but we do discourage appeals from overseas unless there is a UK charitable involvement. Appeals may be broadly grouped into those relating to buildings and those connected with people.
What we fund
We consider appeals from:
- Churches in the City of London;
- Churches with a Mercer connection – historic (church patronage) or with a present Mercer closely involved; and
- Cathedrals, specifically those with close links to Mercer churches.
Other churches should look to the National Churches Trust, to which the Company makes an annual grant.
We aim to contribute to a deepening understanding and acceptance of the Christian religion, and to developing its relationships between its denominations and with other world faiths. We consider appeals that:
- Help young people learn about the Christian faith and develop their spiritual lives;
- Support clergy and help them to develop their outreach work;
- Provide spiritual training for clergy and lay people;
- Provide respite, recuperation and spiritual nourishment for clergy and their families.
We do not fund
- Interfaith work;
- Church fabric projects unless there is a Mercer connection; or
- Organisations that have made an application within the last three years.
Dates of Standing Church Committee Meetings (Please submit applications 4 weeks before meetings):
Thursday 28 Feb 2013
Monday 17 June 2013
Monday 14 October 2013
You are encouraged to submit your application as far in advance of the 4 week deadline as possible, to allow us the time to arrange assessment visits where appropriate.