Heritage and the Arts
The Mercers’ Company has a long tradition of supporting projects to conserve our heritage and to promote the arts. Grants are made in a variety of fields under these two headings.
Appeals are considered for:
- Material or fabric conservation and refurbishment;
- Library and Archive conservation; and
- Wildlife/Environment conservation.
What we fund
We will consider applications for the material or fabric restoration and conservation of:
- Grade I and Grade II* listed buildings (excluding churches); and
- Works of art and artefacts. Although we do not support the restoration or conservation of churches, support may be given for an exceptional work of art or artefact connected to a church. This excludes appeals relating to church organs.
Our grants to library and archive conservation cover:
- Projects to provide a protective environment;
- Restoration of rare and historic manuscripts;
- Publication of research where there is a link to the Mercers’ Company;
- Conservation training projects; and
- Cataloguing and academic publications.
Grants to UK wildlife and environment conservation cover protection and research of:
- UK Endangered species;
- Flora and fauna and their habitat;
- Historic gardens and open spaces; and
- Marine conservation.
Applications within the Heritage category are considered from all parts of the UK.
We Do Not Fund
- Visitor and education centres;
- Churches (unless there is a Mercer connection; see church patronage);
- Grade II listed buildings;
- Acquisition of land and buildings; or
- Organisations that have made an application within the last three years.
What we fund
We have a modest budget for the performing arts and priority is given to supporting young professional performers at the start of their careers.
In the Arts category, there is a preference for organisations based in London but occasionally we support national organisations that are centres of excellence.
We do not fund festivals.
Dates of Heritage and Arts Meetings
(Please submit applications 6 weeks before meetings):
Thursday 11th August 2016 (for committee meeting on 22 September)
Wednesday 19th October 2016 (for committee meeting on 30 November)
You are encouraged to submit your application as far in advance of the 6 week deadline as possible, to allow us the time to arrange assessment visits where appropriate.