Heritage and the Arts
Our Heritage & Arts programme aims to preserve and promote the cultural and artistic heritage of the UK. Grants are made in a variety of fields under these two headings.
Our Heritage programme includes:
Material or fabric conservation and refurbishment:
- Grade I and Grade II* listed buildings, with regular public access (excluding churches)
- Works of significant art and artefacts
- Projects to provide a protective environment for important artefacts
Although we do not support the restoration or conservation of churches, support may be given for an exceptional work of art or artefact connected to a church. This excludes appeals relating to church organs.
Library and Archive conservation:
- Protection and restoration of rare and historic manuscripts and archives
- Conservation training projects (and occasionally a conservation fellowship)
- Cataloguing and digitising projects which increases accessibility to archives
- Publication of research where there is a link to the Mercers’ Company
Wildlife/Environment conservation (protection and research):
- UK Endangered species
- Flora and fauna and their habitat
- Historic gardens and open spaces, with regular public access
- Marine and inland waterways conservation around the coast of Great Britain
Applications within the Heritage category are considered from all parts of the UK.
Young Professional Artists:
- Supporting young professional artists at the start of their careers
This includes, but is not limited to, Theatre performers, playwrights, directors; Musicians, opera singers, composers; Dancers, choreographers.
Applications within the Arts category are considered from London. Occasionally we support national organisations that are centres of excellence. Applications that support artists between the ages of 18-30 years will be given priority.
We Do Not Fund:
- Visitor and education centres
- Churches (unless there is a Mercer connection; see church patronage)
- Grade II listed buildings
- Acquisition of land and buildings; or
- Organisations that have made an application within the last three years
Dates of Meetings:
Our Heritage and Arts application deadlines are 6 weeks before each committee meeting:
- Thursday 11th August 2016 (for committee meeting on 22 September)
- Wednesday 19th October 2016 (for committee meeting on 30 November)
- Thursday 05th January 2017 (for committee meeting on Thursday 16th February 2017)
- Tuesday 28th March2017 (for committee meeting on Tuesday 9 May 2017)
You are encouraged to submit your application as far in advance of the 6 week deadline as possible, to allow us the time to arrange assessment visits where appropriate.
Further Information and How to Apply:
Our application form, details on the supporting documents we request and further information of our processes can be found here.