St John the Evangelist, Spittal

Location

St John the Evangelist TD15 1RD Spittal , NBL
United Kingdom
Northumberland GB
In 1631 the Company purchased tithes in Northumberland from money left by Richard Fishborne. These were commuted in 1837 to support a Lectureship at Berwick-upon-Tweed. By 1907 the Vicar was treated as Lecturer, but certain difficulties were experienced, and in 1917 the Company was given the alternate rights of presentation to St John with an annual payment continuing to be applied to Berwick-upon-Tweed towards the stipend of a curate. In 1988 a plurality was made with the neighbouring parish of Scremerston and the Company became joint patrons with the Bishop of Newcastle for the two parishes.